Light and refreshing leaves of lettuce, wrap around the powerful flavors of grilled shitake and Thai chicken. Rice noodles, carrots and fresh herbs add layers of texture while the spicy finger lime vinaigrette adds brightness and punch. Perfect as a meal for two or a lively appetizer.
CSA SHARE #4
- Cosmic Salad Mix
- Bok Choy
- Garlic Scapes
- Buttercrunch Head Lettuce
- Pea Shoots
- Lemon Basil
RECIPES COOKED WITH THIS WEEKS SHARE
- Sautéed Garlic Scapes with Crispy Tofu
- Salt Roasted Potatoes with Garden Fresh Green Goddess Dressing
- Grilled shiitake mushroom & Thai chicken lettuce wraps with spicy finger lime peanut vinaigrette
FROM THE FIELD
This was an exciting week at Foodterra, we were blessed with the birth of a baby boy. Arden picked up the CSA share, Ellie went into labor and at 1:26 am, Anssi Kismet Oksanen was born. Two days later, Eric showed up at the house to cook three nourishing meals with our CSA share veggies. We encourage everyone to share the abundance of your CSA bounty by cooking for family and friends, in good times or in times of need. Watch episode 4 of Just Picked, Cooking Through a CSA below.
Grilled Shiitake Mushroom & Thai Chicken Lettuce Wraps with Spicy Finger Lime Peanut Vinaigrette
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: serves 2 1x
ht and refreshing leaves of lettuce, wrap around the powerful flavors of grilled shitake mushrooms and Thai chicken. Rice noodles, carrots and fresh herbs add layers of texture while the spicy finger lime vinaigrette adds brightness and punch. Perfect as a meal for two or a lively appetizer.
- 5–7 shiitake mushrooms, cleaned and stems trimmed
- olive oil, more as needed
- salt and freshly ground pepper, season as you go
- 2 chicken thighs, deboned(substitute any cut of chicken you like)
- 1 teaspoon red curry powder(we used Private Selection, Thai style red curry powder)
- 7–9 sprigs cilantro, small chop
- 6–8 Mint leaves, small chop
- 6–8 leaves of lemon basil, small chop, reserve some for garnish
- 1 medium carrot, grated on a bias using the small holes on a box grater
- ½ cup cooked rice noodles(we used Maifun rice sticks)
- 1–2 tablespoon chives, small chop
- 1 buttercrunch head lettuce, separated into individual leaves
- 1 lime, for finishing
- ¼ cup peanuts, salted or raw, chopped
For the Finger Lime Peanut Vinaigrette
- 1 tablespoon ginger, peeled, rough chop
- ½ a small shallot, rough chop
- 3–6 rounds of serrano chile, taste for heat and add what you like
- 1 finger lime
- 2 tablespoons roasted salted peanuts
- 2 caps rice wine vinegar
- 1 cap tamari
- ½ cap sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- freshly ground pepper
- juice of ½ a lime
- 4–6 tablespoons olive oil
- Grill mushrooms and chicken: Preheat grill to medium-high. Evening coat mushrooms with olive oil on both sides, season with salt and pepper. Coat chicken with olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and red curry powder. Grill both for about 10-13 minutes, or until top of the mushrooms turn black and chicken is cooked through.
- Finger Lime Peanut Vinaigrette: In a blender combine; ginger, shallot, Serrano chile, finger lime, peanuts, rice wine vinegar, tamari, sesame oil, mustard, pepper. Start blending slow gradually increasing speed until semi smooth. Stop, add lime juice, touch of water if needed, resume blending increase to medium low and slowly add olive oil. Set aside.
- Prep filling: In a mixing bowl combine cilantro, mint, lemon basil, carrot, rice noodles and chives. Julienne shiitake mushrooms and chicken into thin strips, add to bowl. Ladle in the finger lime peanut vinaigrette, careful not to over dress. Stir to combine.
- Assemble lettuce wraps: Fill the individual lettuce leaves and place around a serving plate, finish with a squeeze of lime and chopped peanuts. Garnish with lemon basil leaves and lime wedges.
- Lettuce alternatives: Try using Lola rosa, endives or radicchio
- Finger limes: You can of course substitute with regular limes. However, if you can find finger limes definitely go for it, available online and specialty grocers. This unique fruit is so fun to experiment with because it’s full of caviar like, little beads of exploding flavor. Use a sprinkling of finger lime beads to enhance salads, grilled fish or try adding to your summer cocktails.
- Category: entrée
- Method: grill
Keywords: lettuce wraps, finger lime, Peanut Vinaigrette
Leave a Reply