Don’t blink, this dish happens hot and fast. A wood fired oven briefly plays host to a sizzling hot pan of crispy pancetta, shaved brussels sprouts caramelized in the rendered fat and an elegant scattering of colorful mirepoix. Doesn’t get any easier or more delicious than this.
- Olive oil, as needed
- 1 ½ – 2 ounces pancetta, small chop, half of standard 3 ounce pack
- 25–30 brussels sprouts, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, brunoise cut (thin julienne then a small dice)
- 3 ribs of celery, brunoise cut (thin julienne then a small dice)
- ½ an onion, minced
- olive oil, as needed
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- Day 1—Prep all ingredients at least two days ahead of time. Store in airtight containers until ready.
- Day 2—Preheat wood fired oven to around 450° F and a pan inside the oven.
- Render pancetta: Coat the hot pan with a little olive oil and a few spoons of the clarified butter remaining in the turkey roasting pan, add the pancetta. Sauté, stirring frequently until crispy and fat has rendered out, about 4 minutes.
- Add the vegetables: Toss the brussels sprouts to incorporate the fat throughout. Sauté until they have a bit of color and softened a bit, about 3 minutes. Stir in the mirepoix, season with salt and pepper, sauté for another 5 minutes. Remove from heat, transfer to a serving platter and serve immediately.
- Category: side dish
- Method: wood fired, sauté
Keywords: Wood Fired, Shaved Brussels Sprouts