Crispy on the outside and custardy on the inside, these pan-fried summer squash fritters are the creation of Dale Sharkey of Cosmic Apple Gardens. Served hot with peppery arugula and a juicy tomato and basil salad, they make a rewarding CSA workshare lunch. Embellish the fritters with gravlax and garnish with crème fraîche for a brilliant appetizer.
- 3–5 assorted summer squash, grated using large holes of a box grater
- 2 carrots, grated using large holes of a box grater
- ½ Vidalia onion, medium chop
- 4–6 tomatoes, half chopped, half sliced crosswise into rounds
- 6–9 basil leaves, half chiffonade, half reserved for garnish
- generous handful arugula, roughly chopped
- 1 farm-fresh egg
- 1 ½ cloves garlic, small chop, 1/2 thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, (substitute rice flour for a gluten-free version)
- 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon Basil Oil
- juice of ½ lemon
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar, or more as needed
- 2–3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for frying
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- salt and freshly ground pepper, season as you go
- 3 slices gravlax (omit for vegetarian version)
- 3 dollops crème fraîche
- Spread out squash, carrots, and onions in the center of a clean kitchen towel. Sprinkle with salt and mix with your hands to combine. (Salt draws out liquid from the vegetables.) Wrap up towel around the vegetables, twist the top closed and squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- In a large bowl, whisk together egg, milk, flour, chopped garlic, and Parmesan and season with salt and pepper. Use a spoon to fold in the drained squash mixture and about 2 tablespoons olive oil. Let rest for 5–15 minutes.
- Preheat a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. In a medium bowl, mix together chopped tomatoes, a touch of olive oil, basil oil, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, sliced garlic, basil ribbons, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add about 3–4 tablespoons olive oil and butter to hot pan and wait for bubbles to subside. Spoon 2–3 tablespoon piles of fritter batter into pan. Fry until golden brown on both sides, 3–4 minutes per side. Remove to a plate.
- In the center of a serving plate make a bed of arugula and circle the greens with a ring of sliced tomatoes. Drizzle with additional basil oil and season with salt and pepper. Arrange hot fritters on top. Dress three fritters with gravlax and dollops of crème fraîche, if desired. Finish with tomato salad and hand-torn basil leaves. Serve immediately.
- Category: appetizer
- Method: pan-fry
Keywords: Squash Fritters, basil oil