Never waste a delicious opportunity! How many times have you cooked salmon fillets and then just thrown the skin in the trash? From now on, remove the salmon skin before cooking, throw it on a hot grill to crisp up, chop into thin strips and sprinkle that intriguing crunch on grilled bok choy with a bright vinaigrette and a squeeze of lemon. Or just eat it—bears love it!
- skin from 2 wild caught salmon fillets, descaled, room temp, fillets reserved for Grilled Lemon Salmon
- olive oil, as needed
- 1–2 baby bok choy, (or smaller bok choy), core intact, halved lengthwise
- salt and freshly ground pepper, season as you go
- chive blossom, separated into individual flowers
- 4–5 basil leaves, chiffonade(cut into long thin strips)
- 1–2 teaspoon roasted sesame seeds
- juice of lemon, just a squeeze for finishing
For the vinaigrette
- 2–3 green onions, just the white parts thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon wholegrain mustard with grape must, (any wholegrain mustard will do)
- 1 tablespoon vinegar, (we used O citrus champagne vinegar)
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- juice of lemon, just a squeeze
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat grill to medium-high. Coat salmon skin with olive oil and pinch of salt and grill until crispy, flipping once, about 5-7 minutes. Keep an eye on it as you grill bok choy. Coat the bok choy with olive oil, salt and pepper. Place on the hot grill, careful to protect the leaves, as the bulb end takes longer to cook, 3-4 minutes.
- Vinaigrette: Combine the vinegar, green onions and mustard in a bowl. Whisk as you slowly add in the olive oil until emulsified. Squeeze of lemon and salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the charred bok choy on a serving platter. Cut the crispy salmon skin into thin strips. Sprinkle on top of bok choy followed by the vinaigrette, chive blossom flowers, basil and sesame seeds. Finish with a squeeze of lemon.
- Removing the salmon skin: Place the salmon fillet on cutting board skin side down. Gently press down on the fillet with your fingers as you run a sharp knife between the meat and skin the length of the fillet. This isn’t an exact science, you want a little bit of the meat on the skin.
- Category: salad
- Method: grill
Keywords: crispy salmon skin, salmon skin salad, grilled bok choy