This coal roasted potato side dish boasts a panoply of flavors and textures—fork-tender new potatoes, chargrilled cauliflower and broccoli, and a chunky tomato vinaigrette.
- 1 ripe tomato, cut into ½-inch wedges
- 1 onion, cut into ½-inch wedges
- 1 head garlic, separated into cloves
- ¼ cup white wine (we used Chenin Blanc)
- 25–30 new potatoes(2–2½ pounds)
- Olive oil, as needed
- salt and freshly ground pepper, season as you go
- 6 ears corn, husks removed, broken in half
- 1 head cauliflower, trimmed and cut into spears
- 1 head broccoli, trimmed and cut into spears
- 1 bunch scallions, greens snipped (reserve white parts for vinaigrette)
- 1/3 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1–2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1–2 tablespoons fresh chives, finely chopped
for the Black Garlic Tomato Vinaigrette
- 7 cloves black garlic (available online or at Asian markets), sliced
- 1 bunch scallions, white parts only, finely chopped
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 medium tomatoes, cut into 1-inch wedges
- ¼ cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella balls, cut in half
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat a charcoal grill to medium-high heat. Stack 4–5 large rectangles of aluminum foil, fold up the sides, then layer tomatoes, onions, and garlic in the center. Pour wine over vegetables and top with potatoes. Drizzle 4–5 tablespoons olive oil over all and season with salt and pepper. Wrap up the packet, flattening it so potatoes are in a single layer, and leave a small vent in the top for steam to escape.
- Roast potato packet directly on coals for 25–30 minutes
- Meanwhile, toss corn in olive oil to coat and season with salt and pepper. Grill until corn is nicely charred in spots, 5–6 minutes. Toss cauliflower and broccoli in oil, salt, and pepper. Grill, rotating occasionally, until florets are a little bit brown and crispy, 4–5 minutes. Set grilled vegetables aside.
- Make vinaigrette: In a medium bowl, toss together black garlic, scallions, lemon zest and juice, olive oil, tomatoes, basil, and mozzarella. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cut corn kernels off cobs and transfer to a serving bowl. Add potatoes and other contents of foil packet, squeezing garlic cloves out of their skins. Roughly chop broccoli and cauliflower and add to the bowl. Toss everything together to combine.
- Toss scallion greens in oil and grill for about 1 minute to add some smoky flavor; roughly chop.
- Top mixed vegetables with vinaigrette and grilled scallion tops. Finish with pine nuts, parsley, and chives, and a drizzle of olive oil. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate overnight. Bring to room temperature before reheating in the oven.
- Black garlic, made from regular garlic cloves aged under special conditions, adds a molasses-like richness and tangy undertones to the dressing. It’s worth tracking down; find it online or in specialty markets.
- Category: side dish
- Method: roast, grill
Keywords: coal roasted potatoes, roasted potatoes, black garlic