Drizzle juicy, charred coal roasted cabbage wedges with a piquant Thai-style dressing and your relationship with cabbage will be changed forever. A gorgeous floral mint oil and dried chile threads are distinctive flourishes.
- 1 whole green cabbage, blemished outer leaves removed, rinsed and thoroughly dried
- grapeseed oil, as needed
- salt and freshly ground pepper, season as you go
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped
- handful fresh basil leaves, chopped
- handful fresh cilantro, stems and all, chopped
- 2 tablespoons crushed peanuts
- dried chile threads, for garnish
for the Spicy Peanut Vinaigrette
- 3 tablespoons fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 Fresno chile, cored, seeded, and finely chopped
- ½ shallot, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha or hot chile sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari for gluten-free
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons crunchy peanut butter
- 2–3 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
for the Mint Oil, optional
- Make at least 2-3 days in advance. Follow instructions for Basil Oil substituting mint for basil.
- Preheat a charcoal grill to high heat or an oven to 450°F. Stack 2 or 3 sheets of aluminum foil large enough to wrap around entire cabbage. Drizzle center of foil with grapeseed oil and place cabbage on top, stem side down. Pour grapeseed oil over cabbage, roll it around to coat, and season generously with salt and pepper. Wrap up cabbage, leaving a small vent at the top for steam to escape.
- Place wrapped cabbage on top of coals or into preheated oven. Roast for 25–35 minutes, or until you feel very little resistance when you poke a knife into the cabbage.
- Make the vinaigrette: In a medium bowl, mix together ginger, chile, shallot, garlic, lime juice, vinegar, sesame oil, fish sauce, Sriracha, soy sauce, coconut milk, and peanut butter. Whisk in grapeseed oil until sauce is smooth. Season with pepper to taste.
- When cabbage is done, cut it in half, then slice each half into four wedges with stem attached.
- Plate cabbage wedges and dress them with spicy peanut vinaigrette, getting it in all those nooks and crannies. Sprinkle scallions, basil, cilantro, and peanuts over the top, add a pinch of chile threads here and there, then drizzle with mint oil. Serve immediately.
- Category: side dish
- Method: coal roast
Keywords: coal roasted cabbage, basil oil, roasted cabbage