Po-tay-to, po-tah-to, Yams, Sweet potato? No matter how you roll, you’re not turning away these yams. Wood fired to perfection; riced incredibly smooth and velvety, then elevated with rich, nutty brown butter and buttermilk, and yes, they’re orange.
- 3 yams, (or “sweet potatoes” if that’s how you roll)
- olive oil, as needed
- 1 stick (4 ounces) butter
- ½ cup buttermilk
- freshly ground pepper
- chives, finely chopped
- Preheat wood fired oven to around 300-400°F
- Cook the yams: Coat the outside of the yams with olive oil, season with salt, then wrap each yam individually with heavy duty aluminum foil. Place yams directly onto a bed of coals, cook for 10 minutes rotating frequently. Remove the yams from coals and place along the side of the oven for some indirect heat. Continue to rotate sides of yam and their placement within the oven, cook for 45-50 minutes or until soft when squeezed. Transfer yams to a bowl, cover and let rest until ready to finish dish.
- Brown the butter: Heat a light colored heavy-bottomed saucepot to medium heat. Add the butter, swirling occasionally as it melts. Once melted, the butter will begin to foam, cook swirling pot occasionally until you smell a nutty aroma and the butter has turned brown in color, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the buttermilk.
- Finish yams: While the butter is browning, remove the outside skin from the yams. Rice the yams into a bowl, season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Stir in the brown butter and buttermilk mix, mixing in a little at a time to desired consistency.
- Keep warm and serve: Cover finished yams with parchment paper and foil, place the bowl on a pot of water to create a double boiler, set aside. When ready, simmer the water to heat the yams, uncover and stir one last time. Transfer to serving bowl, top with chives and serve immediately.
- To mash or rice: You can keep this dish rustic and simply mash the potatoes, season with salt, freshly ground pepper and then stir in brown butter, buttermilk mix. For a more refined finish and incredibly smooth with no lump or fiber in sight, use a ricer.
- Category: side dish
- Method: roasting, wood fired
Keywords: Wood Fired, Brown Butter, Yams, sweet potatoes