Backcountry curry chicken salad is one of our go-to, quick and easy recipes that has fueled countless outdoor experiences. The best part is its simplicity and contrasting flavors and textures.
- 2 chicken breasts, bone-in or boneless
- 2 chicken thighs, bone-in or boneless
- 2 quarts chicken stock, for poaching liquid, (optional)
- 1 Honeycrisp apple, medium dice
- 2 medium celery ribs, small dice
- 1 carrot, grated on a box grater
- 1 cup whole roasted cashews, rough chop
- ½ cup raisins
- salt and freshly ground pepper, season to taste
- 1½ cups high-quality mayonnaise, add more or less to taste
- 2–3 tablespoons curry powder
- 2–3 tablespoons hand torn fresh herbs, tarragon and parsley are classics
- Tortillas, we love these gluten-free tortillas
- Poach the chicken: Place the chicken in a heavy-bottomed pot and add enough cool chicken stock to cover by an inch or more. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat and cook for 10 minutes, careful not to let it boil. To assess how close the chicken is to being done, give it a quick squeeze with your fingers, feeling for firmness. Chicken should be fully cooked in 10-15 minutes depending on size, or when the internal temperature of the thickest part reaches 165°F. The meat will be opaque through the center. Remove from poaching liquid and let cool.
- Cut or shred the chicken: Once the chicken is cool enough to handle, cut into small bite-sized chunks. For an alternative presentation and texture, shred the chicken with a fork.
- Combine and refrigerate: In a large bowl mix together the chicken, apple, celery, carrot, cashews, raisins, and mayonnaise. Stir well to thoroughly coat everything. Season to taste with salt, freshly ground pepper and curry powder, stir again to incorporate. Refrigerate for at least an hour to allow flavors to meld.
- Wrap it up and enjoy: Add a couple of spoonfuls of the chicken salad mixture onto a tortilla. Simply roll it up or fold in the sides first then roll it like a burrito. Whatever your method, get outside and take these delicious warps with you on your next adventure.
- Water poaching option: Simply replace the chicken stock with cool water and add aromatics like smashed garlic, chopped onions, bay leaf, peppercorns, fresh herbs or whatever else you have available.
- The best gluten-free tortilla option: We prefer to make chicken salad wraps and we’ve found these amazing tortillas. Wet your hands with water and rub the tortilla to moisten a bit then briefly warm it up in a toaster oven. While the tortilla is still warm add the chicken salad and wrap it up.
- Category: lunch
- Method: poach
Keywords: curry chicken salad